Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Bloch Sphere

First a little bit of background: A qubit is the analog of the traditional bit. Bits can be either 0 or 1, whereas qubits can be 1, 0, or both 1 and 0 at the same time. Because of this ability, it follows nicely that any string of n qubits can represent all numbers from 0 to 2n-1 simultaneously. So for example, 3 bits in a regular old computer can only possibly store one of the following values at a time:

000
001
010
011
100
101
110
111

These represent the numbers 0 through 7, a total of 8, or 23, numbers. 3 qubits, on the other hand, are capable of storing all 8 of those numbers at once. That, essentially is the power of qubits. They allow for a quantum computer to perform operations on many values at once. As it happens, qubits are often represented visually by a Bloch Sphere. That's this guy:

A qubit's "state" can be anything on the surface of the Bloch Sphere, with the pure states of 1 and 0 being the polar north and south of the sphere. This leads me to the first big question I have on my quantum computing journey:

Why is the Bloch Sphere an ideal representation of a qubit?

So far, I have yet to find a really thorough answer to this question. My thinking is this: if a qubit can be 1, or 0, or somewhere in between, couldn't a simple linear scale in terms of percentages also represent a qubit satisfactorily? For example:

It just hasn't clicked yet for me. A qubit's implementation is essentially a certain property of a subatomic particle, for instance, the polarization of a photon. Photon polarization is already represented using a sphere called a Poincare Sphere. But in that case, there are precisely 6 different polarization states, so a 3D model of some sort does make sense. But the actual implementation of a qubit would only be concerned with two of those states, say horizontal and vertical polarization. And that's where I get stuck. Why are we still using the sphere representation? Fortunately, this confusion hasn't impeded me from studying further in quantum compututation. But it does irk me. I want a good answer to this question, and when I find it, I intend to post it here.

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog via a friend. Nice post.
    But something that confused me is that since this post is somewhat like introductory why didn't you started with what exactly is a Quantum Computer? It would certainly be helpful for people who are new to this and think Q-Computers as a magic wand that can do anything and everything. Hope you do write one post regarding that.
    Regarding the Bloch Sphere, I think it is used for representing a qubit is because a single qubit can exist in multiple states which makes it, while not impossible, but very difficult to represent graphically in any way other than the Bloch Sphere.
    Mixed state vectors have an absolute value of <=1. The state space (Bloch sphere) of
    a qubit under the influence of energy dissipation shrinks towards the north pole of the Bloch sphere – the ground state. The effect of dephasing, i.e. the loss of phase information, can be illustrated with a deformed sphere aligned along the z axis.
    Hopefully the reason sounds right:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krypto,

    Thanks for your comment. I didn't realize anyone had actually found my blog yet. Good to know!

    With regards to posting about what Quantum computers can and cannot do, I have to say that at the moment even I do not fully comprehend that difference. For example, it has been argued that quantum computers do not provide any advantage in terms of sorting algorithms, but I would find it very difficult to explain to someone why this is the case, not being familiar with quantum computers enough myself.

    Nevertheless, perhaps I will heed your advice and post more background information for the unfamiliar reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps this can ease some of the confusions regarding Limits of Q-Computer (it certianly helped me)
      http://www.scribd.com/doc/44305346/The-Limits-of-Quantum-Computers

      and do read this (somewhat old) article
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/science/scott-aaronson-quantum-computing-promises-new-insights.html?_r=4&ref=science&pagewanted=all

      Hope this helps and do keep posting.

      Delete